Monday, December 19, 2011

Jealousy

Introduction to Poetry
By Billy Collins

I read through the list of poems that Nelson put up. But this one stood out to me.
Maybe it is because I remember this from Sophomore year and it brought me good memories.


Or just because I want to teach English, and the idea of an "Introduction to Poetry" sounds cool to me.
But I think that the real reason that this poem pushes it's way to the top, of not only of the poetry 180 list of the Library of Congress,
Its that it makes me want to write a poem even better then that one.

"But all they want to do
is tie the poem to a chair with rope
and torture a confession out of it."



I remember watching that in 9th and 11th Grades.
I felt bad for the poem. 
I felt bad for the author.


Billy Collins shuts the mouths of teachers who believe that God had revealed to them what the meaning of every poem, narrative, or just anything in general.


I'm jealous because I want to do that. 
Blow the away the minds of those who have built indestructible walls who won't break down.



"I want them to water ski
across the surface of a poem
waving at the author's name on the shore."


This poem is absolutely mind-blowing. 
Billy Collins created something that can blow a seventeen year old Seniors mind.
Now I want to create something that is gonna be a tornado in every single teacher's Kansas.


Billy Collins has become Superman.
I want to fly too. 

1 comment:

  1. Dude. This is awesome. I like how you go back and forth between an aspiring teacher and an aspiring writer.

    And it makes me wonder: can we be both?

    H yeah, we can. H yeah.

    ReplyDelete